Sunday, November 22, 2009

Map Generator, and the need to do other things

So the last 2-3 weeks, I've been working on map generators for magecrawl. Here's a few examples:


This is my "Stitch" map generator. It generates a graph of entrances, halls, and rooms, then reads "chunks" from a file and stitches them togeather to make a map. Right now, it looks pretty boring since there is only one room type and 4 hallway types. While there are some issues, I'm pretty proud with it.


 

This is the 'cave' map generator. It implements this algorithm for generating caves with some tweaks. It seems to give more consistent maps than my stitch generator.

The only issue I'm having is that staring at map generators during all my free time gets a bit boring. Last week I implemented a few 'nice' features that were suggested from those who played with the magecrawl tech demo gruop. This week I worked on cleaning up the code, using my point struct instead of int x, int y where reasonable and LINQing up the code where it makes sense.

1 comment:

Jotaf said...

Nice, so hallways and such are like vaults with a fixed design? You could add one with some columns around, and another with a well in the middle :)