It's still in work, but the idea I'm most excited about in this area of the game is the differences between "Classes" and "Types". A class of monster is kinda like a base class, it defines behavior and types of abilities it has access to. A type of monster is a specific instance of a type with a given name and stats. Both Orcs and Brigands would be standard monsters, even if their equipment and stats are different.
Here's my current list of ideas (With a typical example):
- Standard (Orc Warrior) - Average "intelligent" monster, able to use basic ranged attack if it has one as it closes the distance. Might try to escape when in trouble (unsure on that).
- Healer (Human Healer) - Tries to stick near elite, standard, or ranged monsters (at range of player). Weak on its own, but can buff and heal other monsters.
- Ranged (Goblin Slinger)- Ranged "blaster", either with traditional weapons or magic.
- Sprinter (Wolf) - Fast monster that will quickly enter melee range (possibly with rush attack).
- Swarmer (Giant Ants) - Individually weak monsters that try to stick together and attack en mass.
- Elite (Dragon) - The big guns of the dungeon. A challenge in themselves. Ignores all other monsters (due to pride?) and charges towards player.