Sunday, March 21, 2010

libtcod-ruby...

Well I have something done for ruby, but it isn't up the my normal standards (aka the demo isn't done). Here is what I have:

http://libtcod-net.googlecode.com/files/libtcod-ruby%20bits.zip

This is a built libtcod-ruby library, for Linux. I can't understand ruby well enough to get a hello world demo working, but require "libtcod-ruby" seems to work. If one of you ruby people want to get a demo working, I'll post it.

The reason that it's a Linux demo is because cmake seems to be utterly broken for finding ruby under Windows. After spending entirely too long messing with it, I gave up and built it under Linux. If someone want to try to get libtcod-ruby working under Windows, let me know and I'll point you to where I've given up.

Off to libtcod-php and libtcod-java, then fixing the known issues and then maybe I can go back to Magecrawl...

4 comments:

Sir Yobgod Ababua the Handless said...

I've been playing with ruby for a while now, and the main reason I'd stopped was the lack of decent libtcod-like libraries.

I'd like to get a demo going, but I'm obviously doing something terribly wrong (and likely idiotic) because I can't even get the include to work.

libtcod-ruby.so: libtcod.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory - ./libtcod-ruby.so (LoadError)

Any suggestions? libtcod.so is totally right there, with correct permissions. Did you perhaps hardcode some nonstandard library path that I don't have?

donblas said...

What version of ruby are you using? I bet it has to match mine (1.8.7).

If they do match, run "ldd libtcod-ruby.so" in that directory. E-mail that to me at chris dot hamons at gmail dot com.

Sir Yobgod Ababua the Handless said...

Making some progress... more in email soon.

Problem 1: You look for libruby1.8.so.1.8 while my distro installs it as libruby.so.1.8.

donblas said...

Blame cmake/swig on that one. :(