Monday, March 8, 2010

A truckload full of random updates...

So it's been more than a week since my last post, which is more than twice what I strive for (1.75/week). A variety of reasons are to blame for this, so I figured I'd comment on the relevant ones.

  • Illness - Have to love the times of year when everyone in the office seems to get sick.
  • Dragon Age - I just finished this game this weekend. I'm in the weird position of really really enjoying the game, but suggesting that others not buy the game and boycotting the expansion myself. The game comes with DLC (downloadable content) that requires authentication against EAs server to use. I didn't know that when I purchased the game. That means if you download the new armor and character, you can't play single player if you don't have an internet connection. Considering the problems that this can cause, I refuse to support games that do this. 
  • libtcod - The base library that Magecrawl is built upon (via libtcod-net). While working on a bit of research that I'm not ready to open the lid on, I came across the build system, which is makefiles. Since my last post was a rant, I'll spare you the feeling on make. I'm working on adding cmake support, and was making great progress before getting sick. It's my goal to finish that before continuing work on Magecrawl.

2 comments:

Nolithius said...

Avoid the DLC and you should be alright. ;) The game packs quite a punch without it; although I'm guessing if you've already bought it, there's no turning back!

What issue did you run across specifically with libtcod-net?

Many thanks for linking to me on your sidebar and cheers to your health!

Ebyan "Nolithius" Alvarez-Buylla
http://www.nolithius.com

donblas said...

No problem on libtcod-net, I guess the text wasn't clear. I was just pointing out how magecrawl was using libtcod (via libtcod-net).

I was doing some research on better ways to handle wrappers given some experience I've had at work. Once I'm done w\ cmake stuff and assuming it works, I'll post more information.